Sunday, March 7, 2010

I've Got Friends in Low Places

I am getting really bad at this...there is not enough time during my insane week to keep up, and for that I'm sorry. I did not realize that I would be living at my school. Don't get me wrong, I love my children...they are my world...but the days are long and painful. The new semester started March 2nd. On that day, my world was turned upside down. I now have my own Pre-K class in the morning and starting at 3 I have and teach a bunch of elementary school children. The morning is consistent and the same. However, in the afternoon I teach a bunch of different classes and subjects, which are different everyday. It's insanely confusing and I know it is going to take a long time to get used to...luckily I have 3 other amazing foreign teachers that have been helping me along the way.

Thank goodness for the weekend though...they have been much better these days. I have made some wonderful friends that have truly made a positive impact on my life. First there is Nickole, my co-teacher who has become by new best friend and sister. We have gone through so much together. Our job is stressful and the days are long and tedious, but I know that I can count on her and that we can relate to one another...and understand how the other person feels. Then, there is Doug and Steph, my token married couple. I have become their roommate on the weekends... I call us either the three musketeers or I am happy to be know as their third wheel. They have shown me so much of the Korean culture. They are lucky and have the chance to work with adults, so I have been tagging along to dinners and meetings with them. I am so thankful that all of my friends can read and speak Korean...it really comes in handy....I will get to it one of these days.

The past few weekends have been amazing. I managed to go on my first road trip to Busan, with Doug and Steph. Busan is the closest major city, it's about an hour away, but totally worth the drive. We found Costco...and I almost cried...they had everything one could ask for...even ranch dressing! Then we hit up Haeundae Beach...it was magical. I flew a kite, which I have not done since I was maybe 6 or 7? It was beautiful and definitely somewhere I will go more often. Besides our trip, my weekends have been pretty mellow...Friday night rituals begin at Roddeo Bar with Steph's toast masters group...it gives Koreans and other non-native English speakers a chance to practice their English...it is a lot of fun and it has given me a chance to meet some really interesting people. This past Saturday, Doug and Steph through a get together with a lot of their students...I am pretty sure my favorite part of the weekend, was watching Koreans take soju jello shots and smoke tobacco out of a hookah...it was classic. For recovery on the weekends, I have previously stated that I love Jimjibang...the spa...seriously it has been my life saver. A nice detox, to end my week. Which starts tomorrow, oh joy! Friday, please come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment